Fourdees Sirdar
The blog has been quiet recently due to my modelling mojo having all but disappeared. Part of this has been indecision about what to do next and partly due to the heatwave that seems to have sapped all my energy and inclination. I’d been trying not to start a project for myself whilst working on the layout for my Dad, but the heat has made my attic too hot for anything but sporadic progress with the boards.
Finding myself sat at the (uncharacteristically clear) workbench for a couple of hours yesterday got me reaching for the drawer of unmade kits seeking inspiration.
After the ongoing saga of getting the tattoo to run nicely, I wanted something straight forward and came across the Fourdees Sirdar kit that has been sat in there for a few months. If anything will get my mojo back, it’s a small loco kit! Plus, the arrival of the Rapido 009 variant has been getting plenty of coverage so maybe building mine will make Rapido enlarge theirs.
Two producers offer Sirdar kits, Gubbin Box and Fourdees. This is the Fourdees variant, chosen for a few reasons. I already have one Gubbin box loco and have chassis in stock for an order for three more after the summer holidays so not shy of my trade. I had asked Dani at Fourdees about upscaling their kits so felt I ought to back this up with an order. Then the inclusion of transfers made it a done deal.
This is the shorter tank version. As I have a trio of Quarry Hunslets, I wouldn’t bet against a longer tank Diana version being ordered to accompany it at some point….
Inside the box are a single piece printed body, with additional pieces for the backhead, cab roof and bunker fillers. A 3D printed dummy chassis, transfers and instructions.
One further 3D printed item that I really liked are the replacement, lengthened, NEM coupler pockets to cater for the longer body of the Sirdar. A neat touch that meant I could clip in my chosen couplings and I was away.
The body had a small amount of filing and fettling, otherwise will be used as it is. I added some lead weight inside the side tanks, I find that with Wheal Ponder’s undulating trackwork and close vegetation that a little extra weight helps. Initial test running is good, but the extra width and depth of the buffer beams means that some pruning may be required.
Shall wash the body and then get it into the paint shop for finishing off. But it is already looking at home on the layout.
Now seems as good a time as any to discuss chassis…. The continued popularity of the ‘Smokey Joe’ chassis amongst some 7mm scale narrow gauge modellers shows how tight fisted many of us are.
My objection to them is partly due to the lack of any credible slide bars and cross heads, making them look like they are, a toy. This does not mean that I will spend limitless amounts on chassis and acknowledge that buying a Bachmann NG7 QH just to rob the chassis is quite extravagant.
One reason why it took several months to make a start on this loco has been obtaining a chassis. Like London buses, after months without one, I now have two!
I have a few saved searches on eBay and keep an eye on suitable chassis for 7mm narrow gauge modelling and bid for those that are within the price I’m willing to pay. By the time you’ve bought chassis kit, added motor, gearbox and wheels, you’re talking £60-70 even for an 0-4-0. And then you have to factor in what your time to build it is worth. This approach has in recent months led me to have a couple of Dapol B4, a Model Rail J70 chassis and now a Bachmann NG7 Quarry Hunslet that had been inexpertly repainted (not a problem when you just want a chassis) bringing its price down with none of them costing more than £80. Patience in this regard has been rewarded.
The latest development has been the availability of NG7 Quarry Hunslet parts from the Bachmann Spare Parts department. Not using DCC, I dispensed with the circuit board electric wizardry and £77 later, a kit of Quarry Hunslet parts arrived.
Ten minutes work later, I’d assembled the chassis. All that is left to do is to solder the pick up and motor wires together and all is done, ready for use. Simples!
I just have one more chassis than I have body kits for, how careless of me….. 🙄








Interesting about the Bachmann spares chassis, I hadn’t thought of that. How many separate items were needed to make a working chassis please?
ReplyDelete