Narrow Gauge North

My chariot departs having delivered me to New Pudsey. 

The close proximity of the Gauge O Guild’s Kettering show and Narrow Gauge North means that I can only realistically attend one or the other. For the last few years I’ve been to Kettering with the 7mm NGA publicity stand, but this year I chose to head north instead. 

The journey by public transport should be quite straight forward, ten minute walk to the station at home, changes and Derby and Leeds plus a five minute walk to Pudsey Civic Centre and I’m there, aided by priv travel courtesy of my employer. All went well until Wakefield Westgate when a Bridge Bash saw the line shut for the foreseeable. Undaunted, there was a Plan B, a brisk walk the mile to Kirkgate and catch a service from there. With exercise duly undertaken, I was only forty minutes later arriving than planned. 

Northerners are renowned for their welcoming nature, so it was no surprise to be greeted by 7mm NGA stalwart David Charlesworth on the door with “what the bl**dy hell are you doing this far north?” Pleasantries exchanged, I was soon in the show. 

With my other commitments, I’m not a frequent attendee of shows and even less frequently do I attend shows that deal with scales other than 7mm scale. One of the great benefits of making the trip, in addition to catching up with many friends there, is seeing layouts and traders products that I only see either in magazines or online. 

The show seemed very busy, so hopefully a good amount is raised for the worthy causes that NG North is run to support. Can only cross our fingers that the venue is still available for the show to be held again next year. 

Soon it was time to head for home. As luck would have it, my connection times allowed for a short walk out the canal side exit to Leeds station, for some refreshments at the Ossett Brewery bar in the arches under the station. A luxury I don’t usually have when I’m in Leeds with work. 

To conclude, a few photos of exhibits that caught my eye. 

‘New Sharon’, Maine two foot gauge in On2. Have seen Bob’s modelling before and it’s always a pleasure. Oh to have a Time Machine!


Sandy Lane, showcasing how compact O9 modelling can be for those who want 7mm scale modelling but only have limited space. 

‘Castlefinn’ caught my eye, excellent reproduction of the Wee Donegal in 4mm scale. Giving a sense of space and openness not always associated with 4mm scale narrow gauge modelling. 


‘High Stamley’, I particularly liked the working gates, the moving road vehicles, use of gradients and the way the approach track curved round behind the hill rather than through a hole in the sky.




‘Beddgelert’, a layout I’ve enjoyed in the press but not seen up close. I kept thinking how a 7mm scale version would be like, but then realised just how much space would be needed!


Last but very much not least, Peter Kazer’s exquisite scratch built models. Enjoyed in the pages of MRJ, they’re even better up close. The 1/32 size is a great size, just that little bit bigger than 7mm narrow gauge allowing the detail to really stand out. 

And finally… a pint of Ossett Yorkshire Blonde before escaping south again. 



Comments

Popular Posts